Bachelor of Engineering Technology – Electrical (Unitec)
Are you passionate about a career in electronic or electrical engineering? The Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Electrical) will equip you with the knowledge and skills for employment as an engineer, specialising in electronics, power, or mechatronics.
Develop the expertise for a career as an electronics engineer or electrical engineer and explore subjects including engineering computing, mechanics, mathematics, design and drawing and professional practice in this 3 year (full-time) programme.
Learn how to use your practical and analytical skills to resolve electrical engineering problems and acquire in-depth knowledge of your chosen specialisation: in either electronics, power or mechatronics engineering.
There are 3 pathways within this major. Choose from:
Mechatronics: This is the pathway for you if you want to work with robotics and automation to produce better products and processes. Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that requires you to combine learning and work across several engineering fields including mechanical, electronics, computer, telecommunications, systems and control engineering.
Power: This field deals with the generation, transmission, distribution, and utilisation of electric power and the related electrical systems. Work in this field can include designing the equipment or systems that produce, use or distribute electricity. It could also lead to supervising, maintenance or operations of these systems and equipment.
Electronics: This is the science of electrically controlling electrical energy through circuits using active and passive electrical components and interconnection technology. This will lead to work in design, development, testing, and/or supervision of the manufacturing of electrical equipment.
- Get qualified in three years (full-time study), not four, and get into employment sooner.
- A nationally-led engineering qualification developed by six of New Zealand’s largest institutes of technology and polytechnics (ITPs).
- Approved under a new New Zealand-wide framework for three-year engineering technology degrees.
- Accredited by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ). Completion of this programme, combined with a period of work experience, will make you eligible to apply for membership of IPENZ as a Technical Member (TIPENZ).
- Small classes: the average class size is just 35-60 students.
- Strong links with the engineering industry.
- Focus on real-world learning: observe the day-to-day activities of engineering sites, and take part in lab work, workshops and debates.
- Visiting industry experts will give you a real feel for the career opportunities available in electrical engineering.
- Computer engineer
- Control systems engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Electrical services engineer
- Electronics engineer
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
IELTS Academic score of 6.0 (6.0 writing & speaking, 5.5 listening & reading).
Great Nation NZ offers practical guidance to students on enrolling for the Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Electrical)course at the Unitec Institute of Technology in New Zealand. To avail of our coaching contact us by filling out the contact form on this website, calling us or walking into one of our centers.