Bachelor of Teaching – Early Childhood Education (Unitec)
Do you want to foster young children’s love of learning and make a difference in their lives? Would you like to develop the skills and knowledge to make a difference for them, their whānau/family and society?
In this field-based, practical programme you will develop the skills to become a competent, informed and reflective early childhood teacher who is committed to young children and their learning and development. We believe people learn through participation and we value the experience and insight you’ll gain from working in early childhood centres. There will be plenty of opportunities to relate these experiences to theory during campus sessions. When you graduate, you will be eligible to become a registered teacher in licensed early childhood education centres.
- Teacher registration: once you’ve completed this degree, you can apply for teacher registration with the Education Council of Aotearoa New Zealand (NZ Teachers Council)
- We aim for informed and reflective teaching based on observation and understanding of how people learn
- A thorough grounding in educational theory and relevant practice of teaching and learning, child development, relevant te reo and tikanga Māori and working with children and their families in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Emphasis on teaching practice: you’ll be working (paid or voluntary) in a licensed early childhood centre for at least 12 hours per week during the programme
- Experience teaching in a range of centres: each year you will also take part in a practicum, working full-time in an early childhood education centre for 37.5 hours per week
- A strong emphasis on the New Zealand early childhood curriculum document, Te Whāriki, and a bicultural and sociocultural approach to learning
- Acknowledgment of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, which prepares you to implement te reo Māori me ona tikanga in your teaching practice
- A focus on research: you’ll develop an understanding of research methodologies with a particular emphasis on action research (self-study) in an early childhood setting.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
IELTS Academic score of 7.0 (with no band less than 7.0).
Great Nation NZ offers practical guidance to students on enrolling for the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education) course at the Unitec Institute of Technology in New Zealand. To avail of our coaching contact us by filling out the contact form on this website, calling us or walking into one of our centers.